Carbon Print Process (WIKI LINK) is one of the most beautiful processes ever invented. It’s superior to all other printing processes in it’s tonality and archival quality. On top of that it’s also rather cheap process. The only problem that it has is that is extremely slow process. It will take two days to make a several prints from scratch. We will make prints on fixed out photo-paper and we will make also carbon print on glass. Because this process is very slow, I’m limiting this workshop to a small group of four participants.
Two day basic carbon printing workshop. The third day of carbon printing as an extra option. The process demands a larger negative that will be contact copied onto a carbon print. At my workshop I do provide a film negative, a collodion glass negative or digital negative. A participant of the workshop is invited to bring his / her own negatives, but before the start of the workshop I need to asses the quality of the negatives and preprepare the materials for it.
- How to make carbon tissues from scratch.
- Outline of which materials work best plus adequate but chaper alternatives.
- Preparation of glop, the pigmented gelatine.
- Pouring the pigmented gelatine and making carbon tissues on a temporary support.
- Drying the tissues.
- We will be using DAS sensitizer that is a safe alternative in comparison to traditional poisionus dichromates sensitizers. Nevertheless we will also demonstrate the traditional way of sensitizing.
- We will sensitize the tissues by mixing the safe DAS sensitizer in the tissue.
- Exposing the preprepared and sensitized carbon tissue with sunlight (UV lightmeter) and with the artificial light.
- Making a carbon print.
- We will print on preprepared sized art paper and on glass.
- Sizing art paper for carbon printing.
- Final presentation of the carbon print.
THE OPTIONAL THIRD DAY
The third day is optional. The participant will choose which part of the process does he/she wants to practice more and go deeper into understanding of the process.
Na žago 4, Straža pri Novem mestu, Slovenia (45°47’07.1″N 15°04’35.4″E – Google maps)
Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th of November 2019. We start the day at 9:00 and end the day at about 19:00
This is a basic course, going easy to follow step by step, so no previous knowledge is required.
Two day workshop costs 500EUR and that includes all material cost and detailed hand out notes with all the steps and receipts. It does not include food and accommodation. The extra third day is optional if a participant wants to practice more and going indepth and that extra day costs extra 150 EUR.
DISCOUNT FOR TAKING TWO WORKSHOPS:
Before this workshop I’m running a Wet Plate Collodion Negative workshop and if the participant is already enrolled at the previous workshop, then a 50% of discount is applied for this workshop. So the price for collodion negative, salt printing, albumen printing and carbon printing workshop in the period of five days, between 20nd and 24th of November 2019 is 850 EUR. All the plates and prints you make are going home with you. Even some sensitized, but unexposed carbon tissues, if you wish to do so.
I recommend RaMar accommodation (LINK) But if you are coming by car, there are more options. Five kilometers away, in Dolenjske Toplice there are options like camping (LINK), Hotel Pri Mostu is really nice place and in Novo mesto that is 9 km away there is also Hostel Situla. There are many other options on Booking.com.
The workshop is limited to four participants and you get your place by paying the reservation of 100 EUR. The reservation fee is 80% refundable three weeks before the workshop. The rest you pay at the beginning of the workshop. I want you to feel comfortable and pay when you will be here, but I do need to collect the reservation fee. The reservation fee could be payed by ordinary bank transfer, but a Paypal or even better Transfer Wise is prefered. Please email me for more information on email@example.com.
HOW TO GET HERE?
The closest airport is Ljubljana, Slovenia
The second closest airport is Zagreb, Croatia
Then there are two more airports in the vicinity: Klagenfurt (AT), Treviso (IT)
If you will come by buss or train, go to Novo mesto. From Novo mesto busses are going to Straža, but the connection is not that good, so I can pick you up and drop you to your accomodation place.
Please email me for reservations and more information firstname.lastname@example.org
- Introduction to the processes and reviving some examples
- Safety measures during work
- Preparation of glop, the pigmented gelatine
- Pouring the pigmented gelatine and making carbon tissues on temporary support
- Drying the tissues
- Seizing paper for final support
- Sensitising preprepared tissues
- Exposing the preprepared and sensitised carbon tissue
- Making the first carbon print and getting familiar with all the steps of the process
- Sensitising the carbon tissues from the first day (tray and brush sensitising)
- Single transfer cabon printing process
- Seized paper as the final support
- Glass as a final support
- Learning how to manipulate contrast
- Final presentation and protection of the print
Each participant will receive notes with all the receipts and the most important points to remember.